Building 1 is the tallest and most distinctive building on the Roche site in Basel, marking a progression in the development plan that has emerged in logical steps commensurate with the organic growth of the corporation out of the original Hoffmann-La Roche AG industrial complex.
The new building is situated in the southern part of the Roche grounds, alongside Building 52, which is currently the highest structure. The continued development of the Roche grounds follows the 2006 plan drawn up by Roche to introduce structural clarity by locating research and development in the northern sector and the Global Corporate Headquarters in the southern sector. Building 1 is the embodiment of that vision of clarity on Grenzacherstrasse.
In designing the 178m building, the main focus was on developing a highrise typology that visualises and fosters the internal organisation and communication within the various departments. The tower will house approximately 2000 workplaces relating to various departments currently scattered throughout the city. These are to be brought together in one place in a process of so-called “office re-entry”. This will allow the smooth flow of communication between and within the various departments in a way that is not currently possible. Office re-entry involves synergies enabled not only by the convergence of staff from different fields but also by the overall sense of corporate identity which will be enhanced by the integration of staff on the site.
The Jubilee Church (La Chiesa del Dio Padre Misericordioso), conceived as part of Pope John Paul II’s millennium initiative to rejuvenate parish life within Italy, is located outside central Rome. The triangular site is articulated three ways: first, dividing the sacred realm to the south, where the nave is located, from the secular precinct to the north; second, separating the approach on foot from the housing situated in the east; and third, again separating the approach on foot, from the parking lot situated to the west.
The paved sagrato to the east of the church extends into the heart of the housing complex and provides an open plaza for public assembly. The northern half of the site is divided into two courts: the eastern one is below ground by a full story, providing light and access to the lowest floor of the community center. Behind the church, the elevated western court is separated from the adjacent meditation court by a paved walkway that leads to the parking area.
The proportional structure of the entire complex is based on a series of squares and four circles. Three circles of equal radius generate the profiles of the three concrete shells that, together with the spine-wall, make up the body of the nave. While the three shells imply the Holy Trinity, the reflecting pool symbolizes the role played by water in the sacrament of Baptism. The materials used in the portico—the paving, the wall cladding and the liturgical furniture—allude to the body of Christ’s church while referencing the fabric of the adjacent residential area.
Glazed skylights suspended between the shells are lit by zenithal sidelight, and the nave is enlivened by a constantly changing pattern of light and shade. The light is diffused over the inner volume of the church and varies according to the hour, the weather, and the season, imparting a particular character to the aspects of the interior.
Imagined by the famous Chinese American architect Ieoh Ming Pei, famous for his Louvre Pyramid, Mudam Luxembourg-Musée d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean deploys its magnificent silhouette in the middle of a sea of green just a few steps away from the European quarter. Its collections and exhibitions of internationally renowned contemporary art transport visitors to the heart of modern art.
Mudam Luxembourg-Museum d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean is a place entirely created by artists for the public. When it opened in July 2006, Mudam gave the artists free reign to take on the traditional exhibitions spaces as well as the functional spaces (entrance hall, cafe, shop, documentation centre, etc.). The exceptional architecture and a collection of world-renowned contemporary art mark Luxembourg’s impressive commitment in matters of cultural infrastructures. This is why Mudam Collection contains works of significant modern artists.
It is shown in the scope of loans throughout the world and displayed at the Mudam during temporary exhibitions on the chosen themes. The interior of this high place of culture regularly evolves, making the Mudam a place to meet and discover that is always innovative.
The Jewish Centre for the Israelite Religious Community of Munich and Upper Bavariacomprises the main synagogue and the Gemeindehaus (community centre). It is a place of meetings and shared experiences, as well as a popular venue for cultural events ranging from book presentations and panel discussions to concerts.
With nearly 600 seats, Munich's main synagogue Ohel Jakob forms the heart of the local orthodox Jewish community, which numbers around 9,500 people. The "corridor of remembrance" linking the synagogue with the community centre commemorates the 4,587 Jewish citizens of Munich who were murdered by the Nazis.
The most striking part of the Jewish Centre is the east-facing synagogue. The building, which stands apart from the other buildings in the square, takes the form of an intricate steel and glass cube set on a solid stone base. Evocative of Solomon's Temple, the base provides a protective shell for the prayer room. The multi-layered glass construction, covered in a bronze mesh, symbolises the tents used by the Israelites in the wilderness. This is mentioned in the fourth book of the Old Testament in the line "How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob!", the quote engraved in gold at the entrance to the synagogue.
The Auditorio de Tenerife, or Tenerife Auditorium, is a remarkable building situated by the ocean in Santa Cruz. Built between the years 1997 and 2003, it was designed to be a general cultural centre and is now regarded as one of Tenerife's most famous tourist attractions and is the venue for many serious and popular cultural activities.
Designed by top Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava Valls, its iconic design has proved a big attraction to residents and visitors alike.
On the campus of UNAM - North America's oldest University
UNAM has a number of buildings in its Coyoacan campus festooned with murals, many made with coloured ceramic tiles.
The National Autonomous University of Mexico (Spanish: Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, abbreviated as UNAM) was founded in 1551, making it the oldest in North America. It is the largest university in Latin America and was ranked the best in Latin America, Spain and Portugal, and 95 in the world according to a study conducted by The Times and released in 2005.
Besides being one of the most recognised universities in Latin America and the Spanish-speaking world in general, its campus is one of the largest and most artistically detailed. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site that was designed by some of Mexico's best-known architects of the 20th century. Murals in the main campus were painted by some of the most recognized artists in Mexican history, such as Diego Rivera and David Alfaro Siqueiros.
Photography by Ted McGrath
The National Library is an attractive landmark of Belarus. Today the library is more than a rich collection of books. It is a multipurpose center that combines high technologies, ultramodern design and unusual architecture.
The country’s top library was founded in 1922 under the aegis of the Belarusian State University. Back then it was named the Belarusian State and University Library. Initially it contained 60,000 books.
In 1926 the Belarusian State Library became an independent institution. The decision to build new premises for it was made then. Well-known Belarusian architect Georgy Lavrov came up with an unusual design that embodies a mathematical system of coordinates. Today the building is one of the few remaining specimens of the constructivism age in Belarus and home to the Council of the Republic of the National Assembly.
During the Great Patriotic War the Belarusian State Library named after Lenin lost about 83% of its books and special equipment. It managed to evacuate all the rare and early printed books, editions stored in the circulation department and reading halls while the reserve fund building burnt down completely together with what was inside.
Design of the new library building In 1989 a USSR-wide contest was held to choose the best architectural design for the Library. The winners – architects Viktor Kramarenko and Mikhail Vinogradov – suggested the Belarusian diamond design that combines functionality and modern design solutions. The design envisaged the construction of an original building in the shape of a rhombicuboctahedron — a complex polyhedron of 18 squares and 8 trianglesresting on a supporting podium (stylobate). The surface of the diamond is covered by heat-reflecting mirror glass. The authors wanted the cut diamond shape to symbolize the value of knowledge and the endlessness of the perceptible world.
Nevertheless, it took 13 years to get the daring design approved and implemented.
The large-scale construction project, which involved about 5,000 people and 200 enterprises, began in 2012. At peak times up to 3,000 people worked at the site every day 24 hours a day.
The National Library of Belarus was opened by the Belarus President on 16 June 2006.
Office Center 1000 was designed by architect Rimas Adomaitis. It provides office accommodation for banks and other businesses as well as a conference hall. It is both intriguing and unusual, and its lighting at night has made it a surprising new feature of the Lithuanian tourist route.
Guangzhou Circle is a landmark building located in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China. It is the headquarters of the Hongda Xingye Group and the new home of Guangdong Plastic Exchange (GDPE), the world largest trading centre for raw plastic material with more than 25 billions euros of annual turn over (2012).
ArchitectThe building has been designed by Italian architect Joseph di Pasquale, The total height is 138 meters for 33 stories, 85.000 square metres of floor area and about 1 billion RMB (70 million dollars) of global investment.
LocationLocated at the south west boundary of the city the building stands on the bank of the Pearl River. It is a sort of south gate of the city for people who arrive at the new south high speed railway station of the city.
DesignThe building is similar to another circular building in Shenyang, although, unlike the other, the central core is open, with no glass. It is the world's tallest circular building and with the unique feature of its almost fifty meters wide empty hole in the center (48 mt).
The designer stated he was looking for a design based on Oriental psychology and perception, finding in the Chinese use of logographic symbols sinogram in its writing, as an inspiration. In fact, the building is also called an "urban ideogram".
Many other meanings are linked with the building: the iconic value of jade discs and numerological tradition of Fengshui. In particular, the double disc of jade (bi-disk) is an ancient royal symbol of a Chinese dynasty which ruled in this area around 2000 years ago. The building reflection in the water of the river creates the same type of image: a double jade bi-disc. This figure also corresponds to the number 8 and infinity symbol which Chinese culture has a strong propitiatory value.
The building also takes a reference from an idea of the Italian Renaissance; "quadratura del cerchio" (squaring the circle). The two circular facades contain and support suspended groups of storeys which are "squaring" the perfect circumference of the facades in order to make the interior space orthogonal and habitable.
The public areas of the building are not yet open, although the public plaza in front is open. The nearest metro stop is Xilang.
in 2014, CNN listed the building as one of the 10 most interesting buildings, worldwide.
- Courtesy Wiki
Rem Koolhaas (Rotterdam, 1944) founded OMA in 1975 together with Elia and Zoe Zenghelis and Madelon Vriesendorp. He graduated from the Architectural Association in London and in 1978 published Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan. In 1995, his book S,M,L,XL summarized the work of OMA in "a novel about architecture".
He heads the work of both OMA and AMO, the research branch of OMA, operating in areas beyond the realm of architecture. His built work includes the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow (2015), Fondazione Prada in Milan (2015), the headquarters for China Central Television (CCTV) in Beijing (2012), Casa da Musica in Porto (2005), Seattle Central Library (2004), and the Netherlands Embassy in Berlin (2003). Current projects include the Qatar Foundation headquarters, Qatar National Library, Taipei Performing Arts Centre, a new building for Axel Springer in Berlin, and Factory in Manchester.
Koolhaas is a professor at Harvard University and in 2014 was the director of the 14th International Architecture Exhibition of the Venice Biennale, entitled Fundamentals.
The Great Mosque of Djenné is a large banco or adobe building that is considered by many architects to be one of the greatest achievements of the Sudano-Sahelian architectural style. The mosque is located in the city of Djenné, Mali, on the flood plain of the Bani River.
he first mosque on the site was built around the 13th century, but the current structure dates from 1907. As well as being the centre of the community of Djenné, it is one of the most famous landmarks in Africa. Along with the "Old Towns of Djenné" it was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988.
It takes a building of some distinction to stand out in a city as rich in beautiful and interesting architecture as Nottingham, and the Council House does not disappoint...
Far from being a museum, The Council House is a vital, living part of the city and the centre of local politics as elected councillors who represent the people of the City of Nottingham conduct much of their business here. This magnificent neo-Baroque building, whose 200ft high dome dominates the city skyline, has been the heart of the city centre for 80 years and a source of pride for the people of Nottingham. On a still day, the chimes from the Council House clock, known as Little John, can be heard for miles around.
It has been the setting for many splendid public occasions. Royalty, statesmen and women and people from the world of show business have been received and entertained here. The FA and European cups have been held aloft from its balcony, and a great many worthy organisations and individuals have received the thanks of a grateful city within its walls.
For centuries there were two halls where important decisions for the city were taken, one for the English community and one for the French.
The Norman building, the Moot Hall, once stood at the corner of Wheeler Gate and the English town hall, or Guildhall, remained at Weekday Cross until the 1880s. The affairs of the town were administered there in a fine chamber which was also known as the Council House.
The last meeting in this building was in 1877 after which there was a move to temporary accommodation until the Old Exchange, which stood on the site of the present Council House, was adapted for use in 1879.
In the 1920s, Nottingham architect T. Cecil Howitt was commissioned to design Nottingham's prestigious new Council House. Interestingly Howitt worked in the council's City Engineers Department. He also designed many notable buildings in Nottingham including Nottingham Trent University's Newton Building and Nottingham University's Portland Building.
Initial plans had an estimated cost of £500,000, which in a time of economic recession caused some public outcry, but the Council gave assurances that the sum would be recovered through rent from businesses using the premises.
The first design provided for a shopping arcade and office accommodation only, and it was not until the Council realised it would have to spend a further £100,000 on new civic offices and council chamber elsewhere that the plan was revised to incorporate these. T Cecil Howitt is said to have had some trouble deciding the style of the building but settled on a classical design as something more modern was in danger of becoming dated. The contract was let in 1925 and the foundation stone laid in 1927, on what was to be the largest stone building commissioned in the country since the First World War.
The official opening on May 22 1929 has been recorded as a perfect day when thousands of people massed for the arrival of the Prince of Wales. The Prince, later to become King Edward VIII, opened the great doors with a gold key, which is still displayed on a wall plaque, just inside the building to the left of the grand staircase.
Courtesy - Nottingham Council
The Fox was built in 1929 by movie pioneer William Fox as a showcase for the films of the Fox Film Corporation and elaborate stage shows. It was one of a group of five spectacular Fox Theatres built by Fox in the late 1920s. (The others were the Fox Theatres in Brooklyn, Atlanta, Detroit, and San Francisco.)
When the theatre opened on January 31, 1929, it was reportedly the second-largest theater in the United States, with 5,060 seats. It was one of St. Louis's leading movie theaters through the 1960s and has survived to become a versatile performing arts venue.
The Fox was designed by an architect specialising in theatres, C. Howard Crane, in an eclectic blend of Asian decorative motifs sometimes called Siamese Byzantine. The interior is the architectural twin of another Fox Theatre built in Detroit in 1928. Reporters in 1929 described the Fox Theatres in St. Louis and Detroit as "awe-inspiringly fashioned after Hindu (sic) Mosques of Old India, bewildering in their richness and dazzling in their appointments ... striking a note that reverberates around the architectural and theatrical worlds."
William Fox nicknamed the style the "Eve Leo Style" in tribute to his wife, who decorated the interior with furnishings, paintings and sculpture she had bought on her trips overseas.
The Fox Theatre closed in March 1978 and was purchased by Fox Associates in 1981. The theater was restored at a price of at least $3 million and in comparison, the Fox cost $6 million to build in 1929. It reopened in September 1982 with the Broadway musical Barnum. Fox Theatricals is also the operator of the Briar Street Theater in Chicago.
The Fox seats 4,192 theatergoers plus 234 in the private Fox Club.
The Centro Cultural Miguel Ángel Asturias, commonly called Teatro Nacional, is a cultural center in Guatemala City, Guatemala. It is located in the Centro Cívico (Civic Center) of the city and was built in the same place of the old Fuerte de San José. Its form, which emulates a seated jaguar, stands out from the adjacent buildings. The complex, which was designed by architect Efrain Recinos, was completed in 1978.
The center is named for Guatemalan writer and Nobel Laurate Miguel Ángel Asturias. It contains the Gran Sala Efrain Recinos, a large proscenium theatre named for the center's architect, the Teatro de Cámara Hugo Carrillo, a smaller, black box theater named for the Guatemalan playwright and director, and an outdoor amphitheater, the Teatro al Aire Libre. The center also includes various plazas and salons, as well as the National MarimbaInstitute, Instituto Nacional de la Marimba.
Hallgrímskirkja church is Reykjavík's main landmark and its tower can be seen from almost everywhere in the city.
It was designed by the late Guðjón Samuel in 1937, who was often inspired in his endeavours by the fascinating shapes and forms created when lava cools into basalt rock.
Construction of the church began in 1945 and ended in 1986, with the tower completed long before the rest of the building. The crypt beneath the choir was consecrated in 1948, the steeple and wings completed in 1974 and the nave consecrated in 1986.
The church features, most notably, a gargantuan pipe organ designed and constructed by the German organ builder Johannes Klais of Bonn. Standing tall at an impressive 15m and weighing a remarkable 25 tons, this mechanical action organ is driven by four manuals and a pedal, 102 ranks, 72 stops and 5275 pipes, all designed to reproduce powerful notes capable of filling the huge and holy space with a range of tones - from the dulcet to the dramatic. Its construction was completed in December 1992 and has since been utilized in a variety of recordings, including some by Christopher Herrick.
Standing directly in front of the church, and predating it by 15 years, is a fine statue of Leifur Eiriksson (c. 970 – c. 1020) – the first European to discover America. Records suggest that Leifur landed on the shores of the new world in the year 1,000 A.D., that's 500 years before Christopher Columbus. The statue, which was designed by Alexander Stirling Calder was a gift from the United States in honour of the 1930 Alþingi Millennial Festival, commemorating the 1,000th anniversary of the establishment of Iceland's parliament at Þingvellir in 930 AD.
Regatta Apartments has an iconic design that is taken from the nautical theme with the sail as the core idea, built into a brilliant architectural concept and perfectly translated by Atkins - the architect of Burj Al Arab into a beautiful reality.
The clusters of the buildings represent elegant sailing yachts departing from the cardinal points of a compass, giving rise to its name 'Regatta'.
Regatta has become a landmark of Jakarta and has won a Prix d'Excellence awarded by the International Real Estate Federation, FIABCI, one of the most prestigious award for worldwide architectural design competition.
The Club de Pescadores (Spanish: Fisherman's Club) is situated on the banks of the Río de la Plata in Costanera Norte Avenue, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The Club was founded in 1903 on an old pier built by a French company who used to tie up their coal boats there and discharge the coal into railway wagons waiting alongside. Some time later, when this activity had ceased and the condition of the pier had deteriorated, the fishermen who met there to practice their sport, decided to carry out repairs to the pier and to build a small shelter where they could store their belongings. On 10 August 1905 a violent storm on the river destroyed the pier. Despite this, club members were not put off and later continued their activities which by now included the organisation of regular fishing competitions.
In 1926 a plan was initiated to construct a new pier with a building on it to house the social activities of the club. This received presidential consent in 1928 and construction of the pier was completed in 1930. The building on the pier, still in existence today, was designed by José N. Quartino and officially opened on 16 January 1937 in the presence the Argentina president General Agustín P. Justo.
Declared a national historic monument in 2001, the building has become an icon of the city of Buenos Aires.
The Kingdom Centre symbolises Saudi Arabia’s important economic growth.
It was designed to house the Kingdom Holding head office, the luxury “Four Seasons Hotel”, offices and residential apartments, a shopping centre together with restaurants, a conference centre, a sports centre with a swimming pool and tennis courts, open-air and underground parking.
The complex consists of a 30-storey central tower, topped by a 120 m crescent-shaped steel structure, and two adjoining side buildings
Opened in 2014, the Dongdaemun Design Plaza has quickly become one of Seoul’s most iconic unique event venues, located in the heart of the Korean design industries, Dongdaemun district. Since its arrival, the DDP has already become a prime location for major design-related events including Seoul Fashion Week and travel international shows from Chanel and many others.
The unique structure, designed by world class architect Zaha Hadid, is comprised of exterior covered in 45,133 aluminum panels and open and curvaceous interior. For events, the Dongdaemun Design Plaza’s facilities include 2 exhibition halls (total of 3,108m²), 2 convention halls (total of 4,540m²) and a conference hall (414m²). The large multi-complex also includes a range of designer and boutique stores, and its central Seoul location places it conveniently close to many of the city’s business hotels as well as shopping and entertainment offerings.
Dominion Tower in Moscow is a unique type of office building in the portfolio of Zaha Hadid Architects. The architectural firm was founded and directed by the renowned Iraqi-British female architect and has gained international acclaim for its designs for futuristic public facilities: museums and cultural centres, stadiums, educational institutions, and even bridges. Office buildings are included in the list too, mostly very large structures, whether skyscrapers or colossal clusters occupying vast areas. Dominion Tower is just so different from all the rest.
The client, the Russian developer ‘Peresvet Group,’ commissioned Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) to design an unusual building that would remain modern for another fifty years. Initially, the architects came up with a design featuring very long hovering cantilevers with clear suprematist aesthetics. Although the client liked it, the bold design had to be scaled down at a later stage to fit the size of the site (62 x 50.5 metres). Conceived as long ago as 2004, and completed only this year, the seven-storey building is relatively compact. It also fits in well within the neighbourhood in the south-eastern part of Moscow, dominated by humble industrial buildings and generic housing from the Soviet era.
Its façades are covered with composite aluminium panels that seem to change colour slightly depending on the natural light. Although certainly impressive from some angles, Dominion Tower's exterior design could justifiably be labelled ‘Modest Zaha.’ However, the building is sure to be pleasing to the eyes and hearts of Muscovites, who suffered a great deal at the hands of out-of-proportion development in recent decades.
The full experience of Hadid’s exuberant architecture is reserved for those who can get inside Dominion Tower and see the breathtaking atrium with its skylights: “We love the idea of offsetting the floors and spaces to give a sense of flying. Inside this atrium, there are always things below, above, and around you, while outside there are elements floating above your head. I call this three-dimensional space ‘the space of flying’”, said Patrik Schumacher, partner at Zaha Hadid Architects, on the day of Dominion Tower’s official opening. The atrium is certainly dizzying, with its offset balconies, curved black-and-white staircases, and dynamic supergraphics applied to the walls and flooring on the ground floor. It's a very artistic place, and has proved to be an ideal environment for contemporary dance performances. One such performance took place on the opening day.
Another strong sensation that strikes visitors inside the building is the openness and visual permeability of the space. Workspaces are separated from the shared space of the atrium by means of transparent glass partitions, making it possible to see through the building virtually from window to window. The architects considered such openness beneficial to communication within the modern, dynamic businesses that will use this building.
Glass is abundant in this building; not only on the inside, but also on the outside. The designers of the project opted for three-metre tall ribbon windows without imposts to create a sense of seamless continuity in the glazed façades. The subcontractor for the joinery, MBK Stroy, chose four aluminium systems by Reynaers: CW 50-SC, CW 50-FRV (roof), CS 77-HI, and CF 77-SL. According to Anton Masak, commercial director at MBK Stroy, “Reynaers is providing high quality and is offering the services of a professional team working in our country. The company was able to satisfy the tight deadlines for completion.”
The harsh Russian climate and strict construction rules forced designers to use thick triple-glazed windows that were produced by AGC Glass. To avoid the undesirable green hue of the glazing, the first glass layer needed to be clarified. This is just a small example of the great efforts made to bring ZHA’s high-tech design to life, uniting dozens of subcontractors and specialists over a period of nearly ten years of design and construction. One can't but wonder at the fact that this job was completed without BIM. This is so to speak ‘high-tech Russian style’.
Courtesy of Reynaers Aluminium
The Calabar International Convention Centre (Calabar ICC) is a landmark, purpose-built facility located in Calabar, Cross River, arguably Nigeria’s most beautiful state.
Opening in the third quarter of 2015, this state-of-the-art, multifunctional convention centre will host events for national and global audiences comprising business, government and international associations. The Calabar ICC offers the market an almost unlimited scale capability to host a wide range of events – from intimate business meetings and workshops to large audience product launches, press conferences, congresses, exhibitions and conventions.
The scale and flexibility of the venue offers the freedom to design an event that will impress the audience and enhance the stature of the client. Coupled with a skilled and well-equipped technical, catering and support team, the Calabar ICC aims to earn the reputation as one of Africa’s most enticing meetings, conferences and exhibition venues.
Nigeria’s economy is the largest in Africa, with a dynamic and exciting business culture and an aggressive developmental agenda. It therefore makes sense that Nigeria plays an increasingly important role in the international business events market.
Calabar is destined to become West Africa’s business meeting and event destination of choice.
The Calabar ICC is located in a free trade zone (FTZ) and, as such, exhibitors and conference organisers are exempt from paying VAT, WHT and other national and statelevied taxes on transactions within the FTZ. An additional benefit is that exhibitors may bring in items duty free, including those in prohibited categories such as furniture and fabrics.
The design and overall aesthetic of the Calabar ICC was the creative work of the renowned Danish architects, Henning Larsen Architects. They brought to the table their international experience of successfully designing a wide range of concert and convention centres in many different countries.
In November 2011, Henning Larsen Architects won an international competition for the design contract of the Calabar International Convention Centre, and in 2012 the construction of the Calabar ICC commenced.
The Calabar ICC is part of the remarkable 367 hectare Summit Hills mixed-use development, just north of the city of Calabar.
Summit Hills includes a 4-star 300-room business hotel (in view), an international hospital and medical facility, an 18-hole golf course and a residential development.
The location and convenience of the Calabar ICC is ideal for convention organisers and delegates, being a short 15-minute drive from downtown Calabar – with its hotels and guesthouses, restaurants, and entertainment and cultural attractions – and a 30-minute drive from the Margaret Ekpo International Airport.
The soaring arch of the Dollan Baths has provided an appropriately modernist landmark in the New Town of East Kilbride since the building's completion in 1968.
Designed by the architect Alexander Buchanan Campbell, the pool's construction was started in 1964 (the year of the Tokyo Olympics) and would eventually become the first Olympic-sized swimming pool to be built in Scotland.
Japan Center is a high-rise building in the Innenstadt district of Frankfurt, Germany. The 115 meter high office tower with 27 floors was completed in 1996.
Design and construction
The building was designed by Berlin architect Joachim Ganz and costed approximately 200 million Euros. It was completed in 1996. The strict geometric forms based on the measure of a Japanese tatami mat (0.9 m × 1.8 m) and terra cotta stone cladding correspond to classical Japanese design. Its wide roof reminisces the shape of a Japanese stone lantern. The building outline is square (36.9 m × 36.9 m). Its central core houses nine elevators, two emergency staircases and utility shafts. The facade features large and small square windows housing open plan and single offices respectively.
The ground floor is an arcade with shops and a Japanese restaurant. The 1st floor holds a multi-room conference center for up to 360 people. Utilities are housed in the 2nd floor followed by 21 office floors with a total area of 26,000 square meters. In the 25th floor, close to the roof, is another restaurant, which serves as a cafeteria and is used by a catering service as a venue. The topmost floors hold additional offices and utilities for the upper half of the building.The Japan Center office rooms are used by the corporate finance advisory firm Accuracy, the consulting firm McKinsey, the corporate finance boutique First Capital Partners and the law firm Allen & Overy in Frankfurt. The McKinsey offices also accommodate the German branch of the Ashoka organization.